This my driver colletion for usage of Norhtec Gecko Edubook under Slax 6.1.2
Download 008-gecko1.lzm from
Put the file 008-gecko1.lzm into directory slax/modules or slax/base of your USB stick or local SD card disk.
Edit the file /boot/slax.cfg and add the following options after APPEND statements of the menu
options which start Slax (i.e all except memtest86)
The meaning of the options:
Options noagp and nopcmcia speed up the boot process
Options apm=power-off acpi=off enable software poweroff
Option vga=832 enable tiny graphical boot with the penguin
Option quiet reduces kernel message printing
Which drivers are here?
- Realtek Sound driver for kernel 188.8.131.52, should work after boot, in command line using aplay, in KDE using kplayer
- Realtek 6040 ethernet driver for kernel 184.108.40.206. It is recommended to plug the cable in
during boot if you use DHCP.
- Video driver rdc_drv.so with XORG 1.2 configured
- Autostart for KDE switches to 1024x600 resolution
- RDC utility to select video output
- Wireless driver 8712u (compiled from other source than first version) with wpa_supplicant files and firmware for rtl8912 cards
- wlassistant for detection of wireless networks and connecting under KDE
- sns-tool for building wireless configuration fies in command line
- wpa is yet one simple tool for connecting to wpa networks
- apm daemon, enables software poweroff, battery state detection
- Redefined keys in KDE:
Power button turns off the computer
Fn F1 (sleep - clears screen and locks the computer)
Fn F7 (toggle sound on/off)
Fn F8 (volume down)
Fn F9 (volume up)
Warning: if these keys stop working, for example if you changed keyboard layout, press AltF2
and type command:
- To avoid accidental tapping on touchpad during typing start the program neurodaemon using
This command halts the mouse for two seconds after the key is pressed
1. If wlassistant, wpa or sns-tool can not help you to connect to wireless network, you can also try wicd. It is not included because it requires python-2.5.2-i486-1.lzm python-addons.lzm and wicd-220.127.116.11-i686-3cca.lzm modules.
2. Never type "apm -s" command. It is supposed to put the computer into suspend (sleep) mode. But, currently nothing can wake up Gecko Edubook if in this mode, so you need to unscrew the
computer and pull out one battery. I would like to enable real powersaving sleep mode, but still I do not
know how to do it.